Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YES WE DID

Last night rekindled a memory that I haven't thought about in quite sometime. I was in my early twenties living in Memphis when a discussion about Kobe Bryant morphed into whether or not America would ever elect a "Black President". Of course it is common knowledge amongst those who are "connoisseurs" of black culture knows that the black barbershop is a unique meeting place of diverse intelligence, perspective and ideas expressed exclusively by black men. I was a huge Tupac fan and remember the line he wrote in the song entitled "I wonder if heaven gotta ghetto"? If you are a true Tupac fan you know the line. If you aren't then let me refresh your memory. Does the line "Though it seems heaven sent, we ain't ready to have a black president." Remember that? I sure do. Subconsciously it skewed my views of America causing me to accept the belief that America lacked the spiritual fortitude to even consider a black man for President let alone elect him.



I remember declaring on that day that America was too racist. My reasoning was that we were to committed to white leadership to ever pull of the inconceivable. What's strange is that in 1998 God had already had Obama in mind. The late 90's for me was a crossroads between the achievement of graduating from college and the challenge of finding the right career. My life though blessed was tough leading up to the crowning achievement of college graduation. Could this have clouded my vision? Did I allow the America's past blind the hope that was passed down by my Black, Native American and White fore parents? The answer to that question is yes. Barack Obama didn't allow the past to stop him from dreaming. He found hope in the words of King, Regan, Douglass, and yes JEREMIAH WRIGHT. Obama turned his hope to faith then he converted his faith into works.



Ten years ago when I made my declaration in "Micheal's Magnificent" Barbershop I was blinded by despair, fear and a lack of self identity. I wanted to block the achievement of someone else only because I lacked the moral compass and confidence to believe that America allowed the platform for us to achieve anything if one was prepared for the task at hand. Now ten years later, I'm proud to be an American. I proud of my heritage that spans many ethnic backgrounds but most notably I'm proud to be aligned with the struggle of "blackness". Barack Obama is the culmination of the dreams deferred of freedom fighters of all races and backgrounds. He is the answer to the prayers uttered in the negro spirituals of yesteryear that cried out to GOD for deliverance.



This isn't a black victory but an American one. All of the lies and distortions of facts by the Right Wing media couldn't stop the destiny and destination of the train we now affectionately embrace as change. Sam Cooke, the legendary soul singer prophesied in the song "A change is gon come". That change showed up and it couldn't have come at a more opportune time. All of America has something to be proud of. Hopefully this election sparks healthy debate on other areas of opportunity we have in various sectors of American life. The next four years is a wonderful will us to do just that. America, YES WE DID... YES WE DID!!!

No comments: